Saturday, May 12, 2007

Grams

My Grams died at 5:30 this morning. Our whole family came to be with her, and in the hours that she slipped away from us she was surrounded by her children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren. We encircled her and sat quietly in a room full of so much love you could feel its pulse. We prayed, held one another, kissed her, whispered our love into her, and cried.

At a moment when the nurses
had cleared most everyone out for a minute in order to tend to her, I was able to stay with her, and that was when she left us and went to God. She lifted her arm, which had been weak, in a strong gesture upwards, as if trying to reach someone. Her face changed in that moment. She had an expression of yearning, of longing, and then she was gone.

I saw when she left her body forever. I beheld the sight of her going to be with Jesus. I believe I saw her face when she saw Him and I will never forget it.


We all gathered hands and stood around her, and m
y brother-in-law led us in a beautiful prayer. We praised God for Grams, for her full and happy life, for His blessings upon her.And then we stayed with her for a long time. Just being us. She would have liked that.

When the time came for her body to be taken away, Grampo kissed her on the mouth and said "I will love you forever."

Thank you Jesus for your presence in that room. Your hand upon this remarkable day was big and loving and full of
compassion for your children. Thank you for the gift of Grams.

Please be
with Grampo. Speak into his heart and hold him in his sorrow.

Grams, you have been greatl
y loved. How I shall miss you.



Isola Adriani Sordi

3 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger TonyB said...

Thank you for sharing this with us.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Melody said...

My eyes filled with tears just reading this blog entry. What a remarkable way to leave this earth.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Derek said...

Jamie, I have meaning to e-mail you and say I am sorry for your families loss. But your blog was beauitful. Grams is in a better place, praise God for the times He gave her with her family. Love and miss you!
Derek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home