Friday, February 08, 2008

"while robust criticism is fair, scorn is not"

Due to the fractional portion of remorse I felt after my previous post, I give you this article from the New York Times. Thank you Brad Barker for sending it to me.

If you have some time, follow the link at the bottom of the article. It's a little painful to read. But it's real.

If we really do want to love people it seems important to have a clue what some of them think of 'us'. And why.


Side note: Last week I spent the day with my oldest friend (we have been friends for almost thirty years). He is gay. I found myself--once again--gently grasping his hand and proceeding cautiously when bringing Jesus into the conversation. He could see my heart breaking when his always brilliant banter turned itself to the scorn of my fellow Christians. "I can't even call you a Christian," he said. "I know your heart, and I know you love God... but I just can't use that word to describe you."


And sad truth is, neither can I.


Something has to change, people.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Maureen said...

Those are both excellent articles, he makes some very good points about liberalism and conservatism...we ALL need to hear this stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home