Saturday, March 05, 2005

Dad for a day

Friday was DAD day at Fresno Christian School in the Kindergarden class. The two teachers asked me if I would be dad for the day for the kids that either don't have a dad or their dad could not make it because of work. After getting permission from the principal, I was there. In the morning kindergarden class I was dad to a 6 year old named Stacy. Her dad had to go to work that day. We had a blast. At first she sat next to me on the carpet while the teacher went through their daily routine. We went to the snack table and made a snack together, then she wanted to read a book to me. She asked me to read her a book and of course it didn't matter what book she picked out, the main character gets saved, filled with the holy spirit, speaks in tongues and goes into the ministry. That is the way I have been reading books to my boys for years. It was such a bummer when they could read and then they would say, "That's not what is says daddy." That was a sad day.
Anyway, by the end of the day, Stacy wanted me to pick her up and carry her like the other dads where doing with their daughters. She even made me pinkie swear to carry her to the door before she got to go home.
In the afternoon I was dad to Steve. Steve has never seen his dad. He too is 6. It was the same with him. Sitting next to me during carpet time and then by the end of the day, he was sitting on my lap. He even reached down, grabbed my wrist and put my arms around him while he sat on my lap. I had never spent any time with Steve but a parent their said that she had never seen him so happy. We had fun.
It doesn't really take much does it? So little can mean so much.
I liked being dad for a day but I like being dad all the time better.
George

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home