Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Trust and a Big Screen TV

We had prayer at Dakota House last night. It wasn’t a big turnout, but the prayers were real and Jesus was present. Someday, I’m sure, my board members will show up. I just know it. Really.

All grouped up on one side of the room were Jonathan, Miguel, Dakota (yes her name is the same as the street she lives on), Julio, Jeremy, and Anthony. Basically these are the kids who recently broke into Dakota House and then broke our hearts, in that order. (see Ravenous Needs post)

There was a lot of squirming and giggling going on during prayer, which is okay by me but admittedly a bit distracting. I asked the kids to speak out about one thing they would ask for in regards to Dakota House. These are older kids, not as likely as the young ones to blurt out prayers like: "My uncle is in jail" or "My brother got beat up by a gang." The older kids have learned how to construct those walls, each new shame and sorrow adding to the barrier, layer by layer, brick by brick. They tend to say "I'm cool" or "I got no problems--it's all good."
Sure it is.
But they were somewhat willing to ask for something for Dakota House. The first response we got was "a big screen TV."
Okay. Anything else?
We got a couple of requests for good snacks, and plenty of food, and arts and crafts supplies, but then Julio blurted out, "For Jamie to trust us."
Ahhh. There it is. Something from the heart. You know I eat that up.
Julio's father is in jail and his mother doesn't want him. She sent him off to live with his aunt, who is just barely tolerating him. When we took Julio to Outpost at Calvin Crest two years ago, he said it was the best thing that ever happened to him. In his life. And this is after the humiliation of having lice found on his head.
Julio wants to be loved. He wants to be found trustworthy. Though he lives in a ghetto apartment where the only thing that is consistent is the deviance from all that is good and holy, he wants more. He has been told over and over that he is nothing. But he has also been told that God has great plans for him. And that he is loved.
Thank you Jesus for the hope that is growing in Julio's heart. May he grow to know and follow you all the days of his life.


1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Wow, I just read Jamie's last two sections and was really hit by the Ravenous needs post. It reminded me of the prodigal son who was eating the pig's garbage and all of a sudden wondered why when he could be dining royally. Funny thing is, sometimes I find myself going back to the pig's food even when I'm offered a fine feast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home