Thursday, July 14, 2005

Handsome Joe Hanset


where Joe is--
O.H. Close CYA Correctional Facility

For about two years now a young boy I love has been in in a CYA correctional facility. Jail, in other words. His name is Joseph Hanset. I used to call him Handsome Joe Hanset. When I first met him he was 10 years old. I came across him in the neighborhood, and his eyes spoke endless pain. He and his younger brother Samo stole my heart away and have held on to it for several years now. Their mother was addicted to drugs, and men, and bad decisions (she is saved now--attending Cornerstone Church--and has been clean for almost 2 years). Joe's father was gunned down by gang members. As a young boy Joe had so much anger and pain in him that he would pull out his eyelashes and bang his head on the floor. As he got older, he took to the streets and all the evils that includes.

Joe and I write back and forth to one another, but yesterday he called me. I was so taken by his grown-up voice. He is 17 years old now. He will not be released until next March--six days before his 18th birthday.

The facility where he is incarcerated is known for being full of violence and drugs. I read an account from a young man who was there for four years that chilled and frightened me for Joe...for all those hurting boys in there.

Yesterday Joe told me he is staying clean--10 months now. People offer him drugs every day. When I asked him how does he say no, what gives him the strength to do it? He told me this:

"First, I think if God would want me to do it. Then, I think of all the people who have always loved me, no matter what I did to them. I think about telling those people that I am using again, and how their faces would look. And then I know I am not going to do it. "

Joe told me he relies on the letters he gets, and people praying for him. There is no other joy for him there. That's it.

Please pray for Joe with me.

And Jesus help me--us--to remember it is the unconditional love we show through You that will change hearts and our world.

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Curious George said...

I am thankful for all the people you have touched with the love of Jesus over the years. MIne included.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger TonyB said...

When I grow up, Jamie, I want my life to be reflective of knowing you and Jesus...


(I say this with much respect and admiration)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home