Friday, July 28, 2006

irony and eye rolls

So this afternoon I was dissociating in my therapist's office, and my gaze fell upon my Official Calvin Crest Nalgene. I gazed at it for a while and then read it. It said this:
Jesus answered and said to her {italics mine}, Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him {mine again} shall never thirst but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.
And I wondered if that was what Jesus really said to that woman. And then I began to ponder whether the adjustment was intentional... if it happened just because men had translated the words. And I decided it was true. That was what happened. And I felt a little angry.

Then I tuned back in to my therapist and heard her saying this:

"Jamie, you perceive reality in the feelings you attach to words. And each and every word is of great importance to you. Those words and the feelings you have assigned them become your reality. Then you have a reaction based on that 'reality' you have created."

I gave her an 'as-if-you-know-what-you-are-talking-about' eye roll and took a long drink from my nalgene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home