Tuesday, November 04, 2008

voting day. it's here.

This morning I woke up with a jolt. 'It's here. Finally,' I thought.

And then, "Oh no.'

Because for the first time in a long time, I care.

I am old enough to remember when both Kennedys were shot, and how heartbreaking it was. I also remember when Watergate happened. I distinctly recall the feelings of disillusionment and betrayal. 'What? Our president is a LIAR?'

This was before I became aware of all that Kennedy-Marilyn Monroe nonsense... before Watergate, and Monica Lewinsky...back in the day when we thought our president was someone to be respected.

When Watergate happened I was 16 years old. Very naive. And though I did not like Nixon, I still thought that THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES would be an honorable person.

Well that was a long time ago. Since then I have pretty much adopted the stance that politics and politicians are not to be trusted. 'poli'= 'many' and 'tics' = 'blood-sucking parasites'.

And it has been a long time since I have looked at a candidate and thought he was someone who could lead our country.

My hope is in Jesus... but hey--it would be sort of cool to have a president who gives us new hope for our country, and has a relationship with Jesus and proclaims it. Wouldn't it?

Our theology insinuated, that shortly after original sin, once Adam and Eve at the apple, they registered as Democrats and went on with their lives, trying to create large governments that would enable lazy people through expensive social programs. --Donald Miller



So, to appease myself, I started off today by reading this article, in which Donald Miller explains why he is voting for Obama. I suggest you skip the rest of what I have to say and read the Don. It is a brilliant piece.

Tonight Brad and I will cast our votes and then head to this pub where we like to go after voting. I like to go there because after I have voted I want to be around other people, in a general but non-invasive sort of camaraderie.

Plus--there will be TV there, as opposed to at our house where there isn't and I would crouch over my laptop obsessing on CNN.com--not satisfactory at all.

Today I am praying for our country. And for myself, actually. Because hope deferred doth make the heart sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home