Thursday, September 08, 2005

it's fun to pray at the YMCA

A few days ago I read an article in the paper about Evangel Home. One of the pictures was of a woman in the 'prayer closet.' It got me thinking. A prayer closet is a cool thing. I've never had one.

I've been working out at the 'YMCA' lately. I like the Y. It's a funky old building in downtown Fresno occupied by people like me, which is to say, people who want to work out and get in shape, but aren't what you might call 'bodybuilders.' And they certainly aren't there to 'hook up' or get 'picked up', which I find an unfortunate commonality with other gyms. In fact, one of the things I like about it is the large proportion of handicapped people there. Someday I will tell you the story of the lady who has brain damage--she has told me the story of how it happened... like numerous times because she cannot remember telling it to me already. I adore her.

Anyway...I swim laps, work out with weights, do the treadmill, take a yoga class... that sort of thing. The other day after swimming I treated myself to some time in the sauna. I love the smell of the sauna. Wet wood and hot air. Nice. It's dimly lit, small, and quiet. No distractions. I lay there sweating, thinking, praying, listening for His voice. It is the perfect prayer closet. No one disturbs me. There is no phone in there... not even a cell phone. Happy me.

Now I do it every chance I get. Jesus meets me in there. We are very quiet together yet I can hear Him clearly. Thank you God for answering a prayer I had not uttered. For meeting a need I did not know I had. That's so like you.

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger TonyB said...

Time in the closet cleans out more than just your pores, my friend. Sounds like a great thing you're doing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home