Monday, October 31, 2005

Turn on the Light Tonight

I have taken Luke and John out on this night for years. (one area where Cindy and I disagreed) Some of my favorite memories are on this night. House after house and praying for them as my boys would head up and get some candy. One year John went as a taco! What fun! What a great father son time! Now that they are older, I love handing out candy and seeing the kids smile. I pray for some of them too.
Cindy and I are going to have a worship and prayer time in a few minutes. We had a great prayer and worship time at school today with the junior high students.
I know strong opinions abound about Halloween but I finally found an article that speaks my heart on this matter. Enjoy.
Hmmmm, I wonder if there are going to be any comments posted on this?
P.S. Christmas trees are pagan and so are easter eggs. I think I may have said enough.

Turn On the Light Tonight
by John Fischer

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear…
1 John 4:18

Today is a day that comes with a good deal of confusion and too much fear in some Christian circles. It has not always been the case. When I was a child in the 1950s as part of a very fundamental church, Halloween came and went with ne'er a thought of concern. We couldn't play cards, dance, go to movies or listen to rock and roll, but we could trick-or-treat our little candy bags full every October 31.

All that changed about fifteen years ago when the word spread rapidly in Christian circles that Halloween was actually not dress-up day after all, it had been Satan's holiday all along since its origins as All Hallows' Eve, and something that Christians should have nothing to do with. (Studies actually show major discrepancies on the origins of Halloween, making a truly definitive conclusion dubious at best.)

Something about these inconsistent Halloween experiences indicates that the issue here may be more one of perception than actual truth. Granted satanic activity may be an issue on this day, but I wonder if we actually give Satan more regard today than we should, while ignoring his reality the other 364 days of the year.

This much I know: Regardless of where you land on the trick-or-treating thing, if there is anything believers should not participate in today, it's not trick-or-treating: It's fear. Christians have no business being afraid today or any day. We worship the God of the universe who is over all powers and authorities and rulers on earth, above it or “below” it. If we as Christians show fear to the world, it comes as a disgrace to God. What does it say about the reality of God in our lives when we allow fear to motivate us?

We currently live on a street that has a reputation of being the best trick-or-treating street in town. Our house is right smack dab in the middle of a two block area that is so crowded with kids each year, the police put up barriers to keep vehicles out. We bought 6,000 pieces of candy last year and still ran out. As I see it we have three choices. Darken our door and hunker down inside. Plan to be gone for the evening. Or stock up on candy, put our chairs out in the front yard and enjoy the parade while we mingle with our neighbors.

Given our mission to love the world as Christ loved it, I'd say it was time to turn on the light. There is nothing that will stifle hope more than fear, and nothing that will overcome fear more than love.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Dakota House said...

I am hoping we can talk about this tonight... because I am confused... can't seem to embrace this 'holiday' since I learned so many icky things about it... found myself explaining why I don't celebrate it to a woman at the Y yesterday who looked at me as though I had candy corn shooting out my nose... anyway.. I'd like to talk more about this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home