Monday, October 23, 2006

mama i'm comin' home


The other day I was in a mood... so I tuned my radio station into the classic rock station, which is also called oldies sometimes. As an aside, it isn't even the music of my youth. It's more like from my 20's... which is crazy. But anyway...

As I listened to the lyrics of one song, called
Mama I'm Comin' Home
, I was struck and amazed by them. Clearly the young man singing the song was airing his heart and his wounds and the mother of all issues--his mother issues--for all the listening radio world to hear.

I was moved by the words.

Then the DJ came on and began his obnoxious banter, but not before declaring the artist responsible for the song to be none other than Ozzy Osbourne.

Now I hear tale that Ozzy has a show on TV... a reality show, perhaps I heard? And he has a family and whatnot. Being ignorant to all things televison these days I don't really know what he is like now. But I remember refusing to listen to his music and condemning anyone who did ever since I heard the infamous urban legend about him biting off the head of a chicken during a concert. Nowadays that's probably pablum but back then it was quite shocking. Well it still is to me, actually. And gross. Eeeesh. And I have a hard enough time eating meat as it is...

So of course I Googled that this morning--because we can do that these days--and because I should have been studying--and found all kinds of theories regarding the validity of that myth, as well as mention of a few other living things he may--or may not--have...um...accosted
?

Yeah, so.... there really isn't much point to this post, or any deep spiritual wisdom I am seguing into here or some surprising parallel I would like to draw... not that I wouldn't have used one had I thought of one... but I just think the words to this song are real. If his album covers mean anything, he might be a Satan-worshiper, actually, so I'm not exactly recommending you go out and buy all his cd's.

But maybe I should have given ol' Ozzy a little more of a chance. Or some grace. Or at least prayed for him. Because he's just a wounded little boy all grown up.


That's all.

Times have changed and times
are strange
Here I come, but I ain't the same
Mama, I'm coming home
Times gone by seem to be
You could have been a better friend to me
Mama, I'm coming home

You took me in and you drove me out
Yeah,
you had me hypnotized
Lost and found and turned around
By the fire in
your eyes

You made me cry, you told me lies
But I can't stand to say
goodbye
Mama, I'm coming home
I could be right, I could be wrong
Hurts so bad, it's been so long
Mama, I'm coming home

Selfish
love yeah we're both alone
The ride before the fall
But I'm gonna take
this heart of stone
I just got to have it all

CHORUS
I've seen
your face a hundred times
Everyday we've been apart
I don't care about
the sunshine, yeah
'Cause Mama, Mama, I'm coming home
I'm coming home

You took me in and you drove me out
Yeah, you had me hypnotized
Lost and found and turned around
By the fire in your eyes




4 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Melody said...

I think he bit of a head of a bat during a concert, not a chicken.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Dakota House said...

Mel thinks she knows everything because she's at Fuller now.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger one of many said...

ok, so i thought it was a bat also, and i don't go to fuller. he is such a sad state of humanity right now, drugs did him wrong! nice lyrics though.

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, it was a dove, that is why everyone thought he was a devil worishper. I win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home