Wednesday, July 04, 2007

i'm putting this in the amazing discoveries department

Yesterday I spent the day with Grampo.

Made pasta. Took a long walk in which I picked nectarines--some of which I fed to one horse and two mules, and the others which I hauled back to Grampo's house in a bucket; took some random pictures; made another six loaves of zucchini bread; planted zinnias; made a good dinner for two men I love; and generally just enjoyed myself.




And then there was this interesting discovery... Behind my uncle's house, which is a grape ranch, and is where I lived as a child with Grams and Grampo, there are abandoned living quarters. Migrant farm workers used to live there but have not for many years. There are still remnants here and there of human life... rusty pots and mattress springs...that sort of thing.

On the walls there are the usual girlie type pin-ups--quite tame by today's standards... and I also saw these pictures of Jesus and Mary, with some writing around them.
Upon closer examination, I realized that the letters stood out from the wall a bit. And upon even closer examination, realized that what actually formed the letters were worms. Earth worms. Like stuck to the wall and dried there.


I had to ponder. How did they make the little worms hold still long enough to dry in the correct formations?

There is just so much stuff I don't know.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Deadmanshonda said...

This is AWESOME. Seriously....I'm smiling but also thoroughly enjoying the pictures. What a find!! I'd love to explore something like that....

Thanks for the great post, Jamie. I hope you are well!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Filatore said...

So did the worms spell anything? Was it in Spanish? Maybe it was in Portugese--lots of Portugese in the Central Valley.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Dakota House said...

The only words I could make out--not the ones pictured--were something about God being eternal, and it was in Espanol.

Little Hispanic, evangelical worms, apparently.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Cosby said...

the words under the photo look like "No esta (a)qui"
this is a little like the DaVinci code. oh the stories of those walls!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home