Thursday, March 24, 2005

Jesus Still Saves

Last night Jesus--knowing I needed some reassurance after my encounter with Virginia (click here for that story) --gave me the gift of spending some time with Jackie. Jackie is the mother of Samo, Joseph, and Tatiana. Samo and Joseph lived in my home for a while when Jackie was too far gone in her drug use to be able to take care of even herself, let alone her children. Late one night I went to their apartment after getting a frantic call from Jackie which I could not fully understand due to her slurring and screaming and all the noise in the background. When I got there the police had arrived and were about to take the kids. That's when I put them in my car and took them home, where they lived with us for a while. That was about six years ago.

For many years Samo, Joseph and Tatiana lived in chaos. But those days are over now, because Jackie has found her way to Jesus at last. She told me last night when I drove her home that it was when her children were taken from her that she finally gave in and asked Jesus to take over. As she was speaking I could see Virginia's face in front of me, and also Nancy's... another woman who lost her kids but is now clean and in relationship with Jesus. As Jackie told me about the hope she was given because Jesus never let go of her, I felt hope rise in me for Virginia and her children. God used Jackie to encourage me. He reminded me that He has it all under His loving eye, that there is redemption, and miracles happen, and that-- above all--He saves.

As we go into this season of celebrating Jesus' victory over death and sin and hopelessness, I ask you to remember Virginia, and Jackies' son Joseph who is still incarcerated and could not be with us last night, and the countless others who need the hope of our risen savior to pull them from the darkness that threatens to swallow them up. Our hope is in Him, and He still saves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home