Thursday, March 24, 2005

Suffering Servant (posted by Melody)

Last night I could not sleep because my thoughts were full of the disturbing realities of the Native Reservation that my friend Jackie teaches on. I was thinking that because of the catastrophic sins from one nation to another, and the consequences which have been passed down in each generation, there is a tragic, seemingly unending situation of abuse, hopelessness, and darkness. Then my soul became burdened with the feeling of sin, not the sin of one person to another, but of a people to a people. Who will pay for this? I thought to myself. God hates injustice and oppression... who will pay for a nation's sins committed a couple hundred years ago? Who will pay for the atrocities going on in the Sudan and so many other places? And then the reality once more hit me; I could see Jesus, the Suffering Servant, on the cross, experiencing the burden of not just individual sins, but the incomprehensible pain of one nation sinning against the other. If one person's sins can create a generational cycle of pain and despair, what was it like for Him to experience a whole culture's sin and consequences? I wanted to feel the pain of people's darkness, oppression, and unrighteousness, because it increasingly compels me to love and revere Him more, and believe in His love that can conquer the darkness on a Native Reservation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home