Thursday, May 26, 2005

Thinking about trust today... I was already thinking about it when I read Tony’s post for today with the very nice ‘T’ theme title (and the ‘C’ words as well… note I am overusing ellipses just like Tony…). I have been reading about trusting God and not trusting your brother. I don’t like those verses in scripture. I understand not ‘putting your trust in’ someone, because that sounds like your whole foundation, but what about trusting your brother to walk across that foundation with you?

In chapter 9 of the book of Jeremiah he says:

They bent their tongues like their bows;
lies and not faithfulness prevail in the land,
for they proceed from one evil to another,
and they do not take Me into account.

This is the Lord's declaration.

Everyone has to be on guard against his friend.
Don't trust any brother,
for every brother will certainly deceive,
and every friend spread slander.

Each one betrays his friend;
no one tells the truth.
They have taught their tongues to speak lies;
they wear themselves out doing wrong.

You live in a world of deception.
In their deception they refuse to know Me.

This is the Lord's declaration.

Therefore, this is what the Lord of Hosts says:
I am about to refine them and test them,
for what else can I do
because of My dear people?

Okay I get the part about refining and testing. That’s great. But ‘do not trust any brother’ is hard to hear. If someone has been hurt in the area of trust they want to find it somewhere. With skin on. It feels as though it is imperative, or else the step out of the barricade is just too scary. I don’t know. I truly hate to quote cheesy song lyrics but maybe I am looking for love in all the wrong places. But then I suppose I am equating love with trust. Don’t we need one for the other to survive?

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger TonyB said...

He will never leave you nor forsake you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home