Saturday, July 09, 2005

i've come a long way

Dave and I watched a movie the other night, it isn't really important which one, and about 20 minutes into it I had figured out the "twist" that would be coming. I said to Dave " that guy is a multiple" Dave kind of blew me off, thinking that there was no way that would make sense in this movie. At the end, when I was proven to be right, he asked me how I knew so early on. I told him, that was me, I lived that. There was a scene where the man put on a pot of tea to boil, and then they show him walk into another room, immediatley you hear the kettle whistle, and when he walks in to remove it from the fire, it is sputtering which means it was a full kettle and should have taken a long time to boil. Many other times in this movie I noticed small details like this one, and even though it could have just been edited for time I knew that the character had "lost time". I remembered what my life was like before I knew I had mpd. I would "wake" to wearing clothes I didn't remember owning, in places I didn't remember being at, with people I didn't know. I would try to be the last to leave because I wasn't sure which vehicle was mine. I would go into the bathrooms and search for clues to tell me if I lived there or I was a visitor. I would never know if I had a stomachache from just eating or from not eating. I would be at a job and have no clue what my responsibilites were. I remember one long period of time looking in the mirror and I had a different color of hair than I remembered and I weighed about 15 lbs less than I remembered. By the time I figured out I had "alters" I was engaged to 3 men at the same time, or I should say someone in me was engaged to them, I was raising an infant that I didn't know how I came to be her guardian, I had a knee surgery and could never find my crutches because others in me didn't need them. It was so confusing for me. My mom when she heard the "diagnosis" immediately said " that's it" because she had watched me growing up, I would play the piano and then all of a sudden I had no clue how to play it, my mom started me over in piano lessons with different teachers 5 times. So, now I can play just to Book 2 and no more, but so can 4 other parts in me. I would clean the house for my mom when I was young and she noticed I would clean and reclean certain things over and over, so she started making lists that I could cross off when something was completed. I used those lists until only a few months ago when I started to trust myself that I was completing what I needed to do without them. I look back and I tell myself, that I have come a long long way, I am so glad that I know who my husband is, and who my kids are, where I live and what I drive, you have no idea how frightening life can be when you aren't in control of your mind.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Dakota House said...

Thank you for writing this. Sometimes I think that no matter how hard we try most of us will never understand what you have gone through. Other times I think that I am not in control of my mind, either...and sometimes little ones inside of me show up for a performance, and I look at myself in confused amazement...so perhaps we are not so different after all. Anyway, I continue to learn from you and as usual God is taking what was meant for evil and making it beautiful and even a wondrous gift that you are sharing. I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home