Monday, August 08, 2005

everything that matters


There are two people I know and love who are struggling with the wait. The wait on God. The wait for an answer to something huge in their lives.

This morning I was talking to one of them and I heard myself saying, "Everything that matters is already taken care of."

You've probably heard me say this before. I heard it from Brad, who heard it at his men's retreat from Ben Patterson. These words have brought comfort to me in the past.... I even made it the text greeting on my cell phone, and often when I turn my phone on and see it the words surprise and comfort me again.

My daughter is moving to New York. I am alternately excited and afraid for her. I go through my days holding her before God.... reminding Him to watch out for her... questioning Him, like, "So... you'll go with her to New York, right? I mean...New York is a long ways away and all."

I'm not kidding. I've seriously caught myself saying that to Him.

Above is a picture of Sarah from Saturday night at the Basque restaurant. We celebrated her birthday and got the whole family together to say goodbye. She broke into tears as we all sang to her. I saw her sitting there in her little party dress, and she seemed four years old again. I became frightened to send her off to that big ol' mean town.

This morning, after I told my friend that everything that matters is taken care of, Jesus reminded me the same goes for Sarah. I don't know what she will have to go through as she finds her way through life and closer to God. I can't save her from the falls and the pain and those hard, inevitable lessons. But I can cling to the fact that God loves her more than I do, calls to her louder than I ever could, and has the things that matter taken care of.

Jesus help me to remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home