Sunday, November 12, 2006

who's your daddy?

This morning I woke up with an uncomfortable realization. Pulling the covers over my head did not stave anything off so I got up.

In an earlier post I had made reference to Ted Haggard (yes i'm going to talk about it) by saying this: another man yelling 'Jesus' out his mouth has disgraced Him.

Which is true.

But this is what came to my mind this morning...

Last weekend I heard a speaker talking about grace and loving one another and all that. One thing he said has stuck with me. Indeed his words woke me with the dawn today:

"Satan is the father of lies
and accusations. God is a loving father. Do you accuse or love? When you
figure that out, you'll know who your father
is."

Ouch.

I like to talk about love and grace and forgiveness. But the truth is, I can stand and judge with the best--or the worst--of them. Some things I have deemed unforgiveable without realizing it... they swim in circles inside me with nowhere to land. I seem to be unconsciously refusing to hand them up to God, and therefore I am stuck with them. Around and around they go. Twisting and turning me through the night and into the morning hours.

I found this on another blog this morning. I think it is full of truth. God forgive me for my part in it:

1. Christians, and not just pastors, do not feel free
to disclose sins to anyone

2. Christians, including pastors, sin and sin
all the time

3. Christians, including pastors, in evangelicalism do not
have a mechanism of confession

4. Christians and pastors, because of the
environment of condemnation of sin and the absence of a mechanism of confession,
bottle up their sins, hide their sins, and create around themselves an apparent
purity and a reality of unconfessed/unadmitted sin.

5. When Christians
do confess, and it is often only after getting caught, they are eaten alive by
fellow evangelicals — thus leading some to deeper levels of secrecy and deceit.


What we saw with Haggard is not just about leaders; it is about all
of us.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Curious George said...

It is sinful what Haggard did. For me to say that is not a judgement on him because the Bible says it's a sin. It would be a judgement if I said something like, "He won't amount to anything now." That is a judgement and I shouldn't do that and that is why I won't do that.
Because of my job of discipline at school, I've heard it all. A student had cheated on a test and lied to the teacher about it. When he confessed to both actions, I told him that what he did was sinful and he needed to make things right between him and God and him and the teacher. He said to me, "WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE MY LIFE?" I told him I wasn't judging his life. It is not my idea to call lying and cheating a sin, it is God's idea so there was no judgement being offered by me.
I hear about this stuff way too many times. I once had a youth paster tell me that one of the girls in his youth group was sleeping around and doing drugs. He said to me that he didn't want to judge her life so he said nothing to her about her behavior. WHAT???
Enough about that...
I know I am better off today because some people have confronted me over the years. They talked with me and not at me. They didn't judge but they did call sin, sin.
Remember, if you do respond to my comment, please don't judge me. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home