Friday, August 19, 2005

Your night will become as noonday

Last Tuesday I shared with a few people on the prayer team that I have been on a sort of self-imposed sabbatical for a while. Like two years.

In the six years I have been running Dakota House (and the five years before that on a church staff) my heart has been folded, spindled and mutilated. (What does 'spindle' even mean? Isn't that what Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger on?) Without realizing it I had become--as is the big fear of people in 'my line of work'-- burned out. Living on the grounds of Dakota House just about did me and my family in. Not to mention the little baby we took in and lost... as well as others I took into my heart only to watch them tear a piece off and take it with them when they left.

Anyway.... God and I had this little talk and He told me to pull back. I've still been running Dakota House but haven't been doing as much of the hands-on stuff.... have kept this nice little cement wall around my heart. Oh sure.... there have been a few leaks, but I quickly get out my putty knife and block that thing off before it's too late. Mostly.

Well, God gave me a time frame. Not just some open-ended ticket to ride. He didn't say, "No problem, Jamie. Take your time. Whenever you feel like giving it your all again then you just jump right back in. It's cool."

Nope. He told me the time is up on September 1st.

That very day I start Girls Only and dig in full throttle to get ready for our open house. There is also something else God put on my heart to start... it is called Well Women.... but I'm holding off on that until I get the other going. And because I am scared.

But God promised me that when the time came my heart would be ready. So I'm counting on that, and on Him.

A friend of mine who lives in Portland sent me this verse yesterday. Being a bitter and hurting missionary kid he doesn't usually send Bible scriptures.... but he did yesterday. Here it is:

If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness and your night will become as noonday. --Isaiah 58:10

So there you have it.

Waiting for my light to rise,

Jamie

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger TonyB said...

That was a good word for many who are burnt. Thank you.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Alcuin Bramerton said...

At last
She has been left alone.

She walks
Slow and free
And alert
Through the flowers.

There is a sleepy smell
Of butterflies
In the old garden,
And honey
And pollen
And the soft rustle
Of petals.

The girl,
Dressed in cornflower blue,
Sits down on the grass
Beside a tall, crumbling
Red-brick wall
And opens her book.

Around her feet
Freshly fallen fruit
Draws small visitors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home